Unseen Module E- How To Reach The Age Of One Hundred

1. 18-05-2010 15:57 #1
    Minori מנותק מנהלת פורום שפות ותרבויות לשעבר
    בת
    תאריך הצטרפות
    12-07-09
    הודעות
    I
    In the past, doctors tended to predict longevity based on genetics; if a person's parents
    or grandparents lived a long life, he or she was more likely to reach an advanced age,
    too. According to the latest research, however, genes are not nearly as important as
    healthy lifestyle choices.

II
    In a twenty-five-long study, Harvard University scientists tracked 2,357 men
    from the age of seventy until they died. They discovered that participants who avoided
    smoking, obesity, inactivity, diabetes , and high blood pressure had a 54 percent chance
    of reaching the age of ninety, while those who did not avoid those five
    risk factors had only a 4 percent chance of living that long.

III
    That's no surprise to Amanda McKay of Tampa, Florida. "I've always
    tried to develop good living habits," the 105-year-old retired secretary
    proudly proclaims. "I don't smoke, I don't drink, and I'm careful with
    what I eat." McKay still takes a half hour's walk every day, although now she only does
    so when accompanied by her seventy-six-year-old daughter. She also makes sure to visit her doctor regularly.

IV
    The ongoing medical care that McKay receives is probably also a factor that has helped
    her live to over a hundred. In another longevity study, Boston University researches
    interviewed more than 700 people over the age of a hundred and assessed their health.
    They found that one third of the study's participants suffered from diseases such as
    high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease. Despite their health problems, many
    of these elderly people were functioning almost as well as those who did not suffer
    from any serious diseases.

V
    According to Dr.William Hall of the University of Rochester, that may be the result
    of a change in medical profession's approach towards aging. Once, doctors assumed
    that there was no real benefit to treating elderly people with chronic illnesses, but that
    is no longer the case. Nowadays, doctors treat older people as aggressively as they treat
    younger people, which enables the elderly to live a longer and healthier life.

VI
    Over the last three decades, the number of centenarians in the United States has
    almost quadrupled from 15, 000 to more than 55,000. In other countries, the number
    of centenarians is also increasing annually. If you want to join that exclusive club, now
    is the time to get started.

קרדיט ל- Bagrut Plus
    Module E: Test II
    נערך לאחרונה על ידי OnyxX, 18-05-2010 בשעה 16:18

2. 18-05-2010 15:59 #2
    Minori מנותק מנהלת פורום שפות ותרבויות לשעבר
    בת
    תאריך הצטרפות
    12-07-09
    הודעות
    Questions

1i) How has the medical profession’s attitude towards longevity changed ? ( lines 1-4
    COMPLETE THE SENTENCE
    Nowadays, doctors believe that longevity is more a result of ………………… than of
    ……………………..

2i)COMPLETE THE SENTENCE
    Lines 10-15 explain why
    ...................................................................... ...................................................................... .................

3i)What do we learn about the majority of the participants in the two studies who reached the age of ninety to a hundred ? Write TWO facts. Take ONE fact from lines 5-9 and ONE
    fact from lines 16-22

Fact one-
    ………………………………………………………...

Fact two-
    ………………………………………………….

4i)The Boston University study proves that (-) lines 16-22
    i) there is not much benefit to treating elderly people with chronic illnesses
    ii) having a chronic illness does not affect elderly people in any way
    iii) doctors prefer treating elderly people with chronic illnesses rather than treating younger people with chronic illnesses
    iv) people who are properly treated for chronic illnesses can live a long life

5i)What is the meaning of the last sentence of the article ?
    ANSWER:
    ...................................................................... ...................

6i)What are TWO facts that we learn in the article?
    i) How many centenarians there are worldwide
    ii) When the Harvard University study took place
    iii) How many American centenarians there were thirty years ago
    iv) Why people in some countries live longer than people in other countries
    v) Where most centenarians live
    vi) Why is it important to visit your doctor regularly

Bagrut Plus
    Module E: Test II
    נערך לאחרונה על ידי OnyxX, 18-05-2010 בשעה 16:19

3. 18-05-2010 18:12 #3
    בן
    תאריך הצטרפות
    23-03-10
    שם פרטי
    אלי
    הודעות
    תודה ענקית
    Good job!

Lianeli.mda@gmail.com

מדריך עזרה ראשונה
    מגן דוד אדום מרחב כרמל

מקרא דרגות:  » יו"ר » מנכ"ל » מנהל ראשי » מפקח » מנהל פורום » צוות פרוייקטים » צוות סיקורים » משתמש כבוד » היכל התהילה » Champ » משקיען כבוד » Winner